Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Love and Appreciation

 I woke up today to a sweet love letter from one of my children. No one has confessed to it, but I have an idea.  I love these little love letters. They encourage me on days when I feel like I am not doing enough as a Mom, they tell me I must be doing something right.....

  or love notes like these.....
 
If you can't tell that says, "Sunshine, Good Morning, I love Ya!"

Sunshine is my nick name from my husband :)  We often write love notes to each other on our bathroom mirrors.


APPRECIATION is one of those things I strive to teach my family and what comes naturally to me to do. To help better teach this to my children we have a service star....
Each child gets a turn taking this star and doing a service project for their siblings.  From doing their chore for the day or making their bed. They have had lots of fun and gotten creative, one time my daughter decorated her sisters bedroom and wrote big love letters on poster saying, "I LOVE YOU! YOUR THE BEST SISTER"  The surprise and happiness that little act did to my other daughter was wonderful!

Everyone needs to hear thank you, your special or I love you once in a while... EVERYONE! I have really been thinking about this lately because it seems everywhere I go, people are so unhappy today. People are really bogged down from work or other responsibilities that must over whelm them. I have seen in it the local grocery to store to people in my church. 

So I thought I would do an experiment... I  am going to challenge my family at our next Family Home Evening to do something good for a random stranger or friend for a whole week and to report back their experience.  I am going to do the same. It can be from thanking someone for their hard work, or complimenting them. I want to get really creative. I want to find a group of men working somewhere and offer them HOT CHOCOLATE! *a colder day would be good*  Or maybe as a family we should make some yummy treats and go thank our local firemen or police officers.  WHO DOESN'T APPRECIATE SOMEONE APPRECIATING YOU! :)

Its just something I want to work on in our family... spreading our love :)  I am thankful for such amazing and loving people in my life! I am going to also extend this challenge into doing something more for them as well. Not sure what yet...but something.

There just aren't enough people smiling in the world!

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea Karine! I can't wait to try this. I'm starting with the family idea first. I really like it, and we need it.

    I've thought I'd love to dedicate one day a week to doing service. I can't seem to do it though with work and everything else on my plate. I do try and do something nice for someone every day but it ends up small. I'd like to do one big thing every week. I guess we all have our time periods when we are able to do certain things and this will have to come later on in life...I'm thinking a blog post about it though and a challenge...Service Tuesday or something and everyone can post what they have done or will be doing that day. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a great blog idea.... I will be recording our experience and putting it up when we do it :) I am going to try to get pictures if possible. We all can't do big service projects all the time but.... we can do little things every day to lift someone else :) AND I AM SURE EVERY LITTLE THING MEANS A GREAT THING TO OTHERS... BY SMALL MEANS GREAT THINGS COME ABOUT....

    ReplyDelete